>i am writing an ipv6 enabled version of ping, and i want to dump informations
>collected from ipv6 packets returned by icmpv6 error messages.
>the matter is: before i can collect informations from the tcp or udp header
>i have to skip the ipv6 extension headers.
>
>i have found some code which does exactly this in the linux kernel, with a
>different purpose. here is a note from alexei kuznetsov (linux kernel
>developer):

        please take a look at RFC2292.  IPv6 raw socket will not send you
        the IPv6 header nor extension header, it only sends up the real
        payload.  you will be able to grab information about IPv6 header and
        extension header, via ancillary data stream.

        so, userland appliation (like your ping6) do not need to worry about
        extension header, normally.  if you would like to take a look at,
        you can always look at it via ancillary data stream.

        I believe there are IPv6-ready Linux ping6 packages, you may want to
        take a look at those.

itojun