>> i am writing an ipv6 enabled version of ping, and i want to dump informations
>> collected from ipv6 packets returned by icmpv6 error messages.
>> the matter is: before i can collect informations from the tcp or udp header
>> i have to skip the ipv6 extension headers.
>>
>> i have found some code which does exactly this in the linux kernel, with a
>> different purpose. here is a note from alexei kuznetsov (linux kernel
>> developer):

>       please take a look at RFC2292.  IPv6 raw socket will not send you
>       the IPv6 header nor extension header, it only sends up the real
>       payload.  you will be able to grab information about IPv6 header and
>       extension header, via ancillary data stream.

>       so, userland appliation (like your ping6) do not need to worry about
>       extension header, normally.  if you would like to take a look at,
>       you can always look at it via ancillary data stream.

I guess the intention of the original message is parsing the inner
IPv6 packet (including extension headers) within an ICMPv6 error
message. The advanced API does not strip such extension headers, so
application programs have to parse and strip the headers by
themselves.

Actually, we have code for this purpose in KAME's ping6 command (see
the pr_retip() function in ping6.c).

BTW: as for the specification, I agree with Tim; it is already clear
enough and we don't have to revise it.

                                        JINMEI, Tatuya
                                        Communication Platform Lab.
                                        Corporate R&D Center, Toshiba Corp.