>>         it is kind of confusing, but this gave me a way to understand the
>>         current situation.  if we are okay with the distinction,
>>         we may be able to state the following:
>>         - if we are to lookup some name via ICMPv6 name lookup, it would
>>           be hostname, not FQDN.
>>         we need to update name-lookup draft again, though.
>okay, but this still doesn't answer the question.  what is the purpose of
>this service, and what things are allowed to depend on it?

        under zeroconf situation, you may want to lookup:
        - an address from a hostname, using ICMPv6 name lookup (query type =
          node addresses) toward ff02::1 (or NI group address)
        - an address to a hostname, using ICMPv6 name lookup (query type =
          DNS name/hostname) toward the address
        the message type can be used just like mDNS proposals (see
        draft-aboba-dnsext-mdns-01.txt).

        also, it has been really useful for debugging.

        not 100% sure if the use of icmp6 is a good idea or not.  also, as you
        noted, icmp6 may seem like a layer violation.  if you have better
        suggestion, please let me know.

        (NOTE: I understand the security issues by giving away more
        information to bad guys)

itojun