I am not the most knowledgeable on the subject, and my betters may correct
me. But I would think this has to be answered in the exchange with the Home
Agent.

First, the Mobile Node has a number of limitations on its knowledge. It
doesn't know its own prefix beyond what it received in a router
advertisement, for example - if the router advertisement has changed
prefix, that may well mean that the device has changed subnet within its
home domain and should just use that address, or as you suggest, it may
mean that somebody is renumbering the network. Since it doesn't know the
site prefix, it cannot distinguish between the home domain (which is larger
than the prefix for a particular subnet) and a foreign domain.

It also has a responsibility. It must keep the Home Agent apprised both of
its own current address and its current care-of address. So if its address
changes, or if a new address is added to its list on some interface, it is
going to have to advise the Home Agent of that.

It is from the Home Agent's response that it will determine what's
happening. If the Home Agent expresses the opinion that it needs to use the
COA, it probably does, and if the Home Agent thinks its address is just fine...

Now, I haven't read the latest specifications to tell you how the Home
Agent expresses that. But I think it is in that context that the
information is going to have to be derived and communicated.