Gentlemen,

I notice that many of previously assigned values for other address
schemes have been removed and replaced by "unassigned".

I am not sure I fully understand the distinction between reserved and
unassigned. It would seem to me that in neither case is it safe to
use one of the values for any purpose whatsoever, since a reserved
value might subsequently become unreserved, and an unassigned value
might subsequently become assigned.  In either case, any intermediate
use will lead to a potential encoding clash.

I see that the IPX class has been replaced by unassigned, also some
other previous classes like geographic and provider-based have also
been removed.

This seems to imply that these schemes are not seen as being used in
the foreseeable future, and even their use as previously specified
might lead to an encoding clash at some later date. Presumably these
values could be used for some other completely different scheme in
the future, unrelated to their previous incarnation.

Is my interpretation and conclusion correct?

On the other hand, I could see how these values might say reserved
rather than unassigned. If a value is reserved is interpreted as
never will be assigned, then it would be safe to use in its original
context. But if this were the case why not leave them in as before?

Regards

Keith