didn't work neither by pointing the preseed/url to the preseed file in /tmp, althought he file is there.

On 3/30/19 7:44 PM, Ghassan Elrayah wrote:

On 3/30/19 7:41 PM, Christian Nilsson wrote:
On Sat, 30 Mar 2019 at 19:34, Ghassan Elrayah <g...@spreadshirt.net> wrote:

On 3/30/19 6:58 PM, Christian Nilsson wrote:
On Sat, 30 Mar 2019 at 17:58, Ghassan Elrayah <g...@spreadshirt.net> wrote:
Hi,

I am facing a problem loading the preseed file for Debian installation.
The unattended installation stops always at the mirror country option
which is defined in my preseed. The preseed file is in the new server
either in /tmp or under / depending on the path I specified. But the
installer just ignores it. I don't know if its a Debian bug or an ipxe
issue. I am not using UEFI rather BIOS.

But the result is always the same, after configuring the language, the locales and keyboard, I have to choose the interface, because the server has four of them and I cannot preseed the correct one. Then I enter the
hostname manually which is desired, since the preseed is for hardware
server installation as Ganeti node, but then the mirror defined in the preseed is not picked neither the further steps of the installation process.

Thank you for your support

--

Ghassan Elrayah
System Engineer

First of I know nothing about Debian.
As I understand it some of your choices in your pressed file is detected?
If so this is entirely an Debian issue and not iPXE related?

Can you check that your pressed file is downloaded and restored into
the running linux system?
Also check that /proc/cmdline contains what you expect it to.

(if you where using EFI then the file would never exist in /tmp/ but
that is due to the fact that cpio is not created when starting efi
binaries, also the extra initrd= lines would be needed as kernel
options)

One thing that I do note...
if you have kernel line with arguments and then use imgargs - then the
arguments on the kernel line is gone,
My preferred way here is to put everything on the kernel line to avoid
the confusion.

/Christian
Hi Christian and thanks for the reply.

I can confirm that the preseed file is downloaded on the target machine
and the /proc/cmdline contains exactly the arguments I am passing to the
Kernel through the imgargs with the following version of menu.ipxe,
unfortunately without success:

:d10-dc-node
set base-url https://d-i.debian.org/daily-images/amd64/daily/netboot/debian-installer/amd64
initrd ${base-url}/initrd.gz
initrd tftp://my.ipxe.server/preseed/debian_buster_node.seed /tmp/debian_buster_node.seed kernel ${base-url}/linux auto preseed/url=tftp://my.ipxe.server/preseed/debian_buster_node.seed netcfg/choose_interface=eno1 auto-install/enable=true fb=false debconf/frontend=noninteractive debian-installer=en_US.UTF-8 auto locale=en_US.UTF-8 console-setup/ask_detect=false kbd-chooser/method=us keyboard-configuration/xkb-keymap=us keyboard-configuration/modelcode=pc105 keyboard-configuration/layout=USA keyboard-configuration/variant=USA BOOT_DEBUG=2 --
boot

the only detected preseed choices are those provided by the Kernel
arguments in the menu.ipxe, which are relevant for the language choice
and they cannot be proseeded according to the official preseed docs.
The preseed file is under /tmp and the /proc/cmd contains exactly the
Kernel arguments.

--

Ghassan Elrayah
System Engineer

On the kernel cmdline ...
preseed/url=tftp://my.ipxe.server/preseed/debian_buster_node.seed
  dosn't make sense?
I don't think that it supports tftp in the Debian init scripts.
Eighter point it to the file in /tmp/ or use a http url which is the
likely supported case (but I might as well mention that some initrds
do not support DNS, so using http://ip is the safest in terms of first
test)
Sorry for the private reply. It was a mistake. I'll try it and let you know.

--

Ghassan Elrayah
System Engineer

sprd.net AG. Gießerstraße 27. 04229 Leipzig. Germany
phone: +49 341 59400-5513. Fax: +49 341 59400-5149
http://www.spreadshirt.net

Vorstand/Executive Board: Philip Rooke (Vorsitzender/CEO), Tobias Schaugg
Aufsichtsratsvorsitzender/Chairman of the Supervisory Board: Lukasz Gadowski
Handelsregister/Trade Register: Amtsgericht Leipzig, HRB 22478
Umsatzsteuer-IdentNummer/VAT-ID: DE 8138 7149 4