From: ironruby-core-boun...@rubyforge.org
[mailto:ironruby-core-boun...@rubyforge.org] On Behalf Of Jimmy Schementi
Sent: Tuesday, September 22, 2009 12:42 PM
To: ironruby-core@rubyforge.org
Subject: Re: [Ironruby-core] IronRuby with WatiN

Taking a look at the WatiN::Core::IE overloaded constructors, you can
immediately see the issue:

public IE(bool createInNewProcess);

public IE(object iwebBrowser2);

public IE(string url);

public IE(Uri uri);

When calling IE.new('http://google.com'), the string is a Ruby string, which is
resolving to the object overload rather than the string overload. A work-around
currently will be to force the string to be a CLR string:

IE.new('http://google.com'.to_clr_string)

However, it's unfortunate that IronRuby's CLR overload resolution is picking
the more conservative choice, rather than seeing if the Ruby string can be
coerced into a more specific overload. JD, have you found this while testing?
Tomas, any specific reason this is the behavior, or would you call it a bug?
I'd vote it as a bug.

This will also work:

ie = IE.new

ie.go_to 'http://google.com'

Here's the C# example ported to IronRuby:

require 'Interop.SHDocVw'

require 'WatiN.Core'
include WatiN::Core

ie = IE.new

ie.go_to 'http://localhost:1879/Login.aspx'

ie.text_field('txtUserName').type_text('azamsharp')

I also verified this works from the interactive prompt, so you can use WatiN to
control the browser interactively from IronRuby.

~Jimmy