I believe a related bug has been filed:

http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=2802486&group_id=15255&atid=115255

They're using the HtmlWorker, but I'm guessing the root cause is just
in the RTF generation.  I see the same behavior that you are in one of
our test cases.  However, we're not currently using sub lists in our
product (so I haven't looked at fixing it myself, yet).  If you're
able to fix the source code, and submit a patch - well, that would be
awesome.  :)

I have a couple of similar outstanding patches - maybe when the
project goes into "incubator" mode, they'll get merged in.

btw - thanks to Bruno, Howard, et al, the RTF support does go a pretty
long way.  And if you're willing to fix a couple things here and there
for your specific uses - you can do a lot with it.

Cheers,
Scott