On 17/02/2013 0:29, Leonard Rosenthol wrote:
> On 2/16/13 3:51 AM, "1T3XT BVBA"<i...@1t3xt.info>  wrote:
>> >This includes R&D regarding the Matterhorn Protocol.
> Why do you believe this is an important thing to invest in?   Do you have
> any customers asking for it?  Have you talked to other vendors (of note)
> who plan to introduce this into their products?  Do you believe that
> supporting it will have a benefit to users?

Let's start with something completely different:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/14830097/convert-a-pdfreader-to-a-pdfdocument/14832487#comment20918464_14832487
I downvoted an answer on StackOverflow (costing my 1 reputation point)
because I'm really tired of people saying "there's a bug in iText" while
in reality they are using the wrong class for what they are trying to
achieve: Downvoted because examples like this cause an enormous amount
of support questions such as: "the page size of copied content is
different from the original document", "all the annotations are gone
after copying", etc... People should read the documentation!

See also
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/14770942/itext-pdf-merge-document-overflow-outside-pdf-text-truncated-page-and-not-di/14771651#comment20678609_14771651
Here mkl (also very active on this mailing-list) says: "I wonder why so
many people find the wrong examples first..."

I really get frustrated when people use iText the wrong way. I know I
shouldn't, but I can't help it.

With this in mind:
Once we start saying that iText supports PDF/UA creation, we'll need to
make sure people don't have the wrong expectations. Sure, you'll be able
to create correct PDF/UA documents using iText, but iText is a library
that allows you to do many things. That is: it also allows you to
pretend creating a PDF/UA document that isn't conforming with the PDF/UA
standard. Although right use of iText will create correct PDFs, we all
know that you can seriously screw up a PDF because iText is so
versatile. Remember the "with great power comes great responsibility"
quote (taken from Spider-Man) mentioned in the "iText in Action" books.

We need good documentation and a good set of rules to make sure
developers using iText create PDF/UA documents correctly. Having a clear
checklist based on the PDF/UA standard as well as the Matterhorn
protocol should help.

I have to admit that I haven't started working on that documentation
yet. I've assigned the PDF/UA-related development to a team within iText
Software, and they're developing the functionality. Once they consider
the functionality to be stable, I'll start reading all the related
documentation, compare it with the implementation, document it, and
whilst writing the documentation improve the code where necessary.

Is there a market for it? There's certainly a market for PDF/UA if I
look at the inquiries we receive through http://itextpdf.com/sales/
Is there a market for related UA protocols? I don't know. I always start
with the academic approach; then afterwards I switch my point of view
and I look at use cases: is there a business for it? If there is, let's
promote it; if there isn't, it was a good learning experience.