Hans Verkuil writes:

Hi all,

First the good news: we've received official permission to redistribute the firmwares from Hauppauge. Thank you, Hauppauge!

Thank _you_ for making that happen.

Hopefully this is just the first of the many good news to come; and the spec sheets for the new Connexant chips are on the way, as well.

Now the bad news: I've updated all the firmware archives on ivtvdriver.org by adding the new license files. This means that they all changed size and I promptly got a report that gentoo didn't like that one bit!

You can help in preventing this from happening in the future. In the past, when you announced new firmware images, the link that you gave was always http:// ... /firmware.tar.gz

If, going on forward, you would merely announce new firmware images as <url>/firmware-YYYYMMDD.tar.gz, and mention that firmware.tar.gz is just a symlink to the latest version, then third party packagers would know how to "do the right thing".

I don't think this was always in the case. In the past, I recall that firmware.tar.gz was the only announced download URL. I mentioned this maybe about 6 months ago -- that adding a datestamp to the firmware filename would make things go a bit smoothly for 3rd party packagers. I'm glad to see that this has happened, but I only became aware of this just now.

Highlighting this fact both in the announcement E-mails, and on the web site, will get rid of these kinds of packaging hiccups for good.