On Friday 09 March 2007 15:27, James Warden wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I wrote some time ago to the users mailing list about this small
> "issue". I noticed that modprobing ivtv for the PVR500 is a bit slow,
> taking about 12-13 seconds on my epia based system. Looking at the
> boot messages, I noticed that the time is mostly spent loading the
> firmware encoder file (*.enc) for each tuner. It happens during the
> modprobe of cx25840. Each tuner takes about 6 sec.
>
> I use ivtv 0.10.0 (updated to 0.10.1 yesterday evening) with kernel
> 2.6.20, debian unstable, 512 MB RAM, 1.2 GHz C7 Esther processor,
> SATA HD.
>
> Is this normal ? Without ivtv, my system boots sort of fast (~ 25sec
> from grub to openbox). Including ivtv makes it closer to 40 sec.
>
> Any way to decrease this time ? I would love to use suspend to RAM
> and not boot too often, but the unichrome pro IGP is not resuming
> correctly from S3 (black screen).

It's actually loading the firmware for the cx25840 that is so slow. So
yes, this is normal, unfortunately. I strongly suspect that it can be
sped up, but I never had the chance to really look at it and do the
calculations. I will never be fast, though, since the firmware has to
be uploaded via the i2c bus, which is notoriously slow. It really isn't
suited for firmware in my opinion.

Regards,

        Hans