On Fri, Mar 16, 2007 at 05:19:17PM -0700, hth wrote:
> I use Mythtv for recording and also want to capture the captions. As
> using Myth with vbi creates problems
> ( such as  Myth not reading fast enough ), I decided to capture the
> captions directly and have the program
> running all the time.
> Recently I started seeing the following errors -
>
> ivtv2 warning: encoder VBI: Couldn't find start of buffer within the
> first 256 bytes

For quite a while, I had been having stability problems where my Myth
backend would lock up tight every few days.  It usually, but not
always, occurred when Myth started a recording.  When it happened, the
system was completely unresponsive and required pressing the reset
button to get it back.

I hoped the lockups would go away after I discovered the problem of
ivtv not handling some old ioctls gracefully.  Myth was updated to try
the new ioctls first and ivtv was updated to handle the old ones
better.  The lockups persisted, but perhaps not quite as frequently.

I decided to temporarily live with the lockups while I pondered
upgrade options I was already considering.  Then one night, I
experienced some encoding weirdness and investigated.  It was then I
noticed the same "Couldn't find start of buffer" errors you listed
above.  In another thread, Hans indicated that error could happen
after a while when the DMA got out of sync.  Further investigation
showed I got those errors all the time, even right after a clean boot.

On a whim, I decided to downgrade back to the 0.9.2 ivtv driver.  I've
been running that way over 3 weeks now with almost no problems,
including lockups.  The olny problem I did have was one occurrence of
encoding weirdness that was resolved by reloading the ivtv driver.

>From all of this, I have concluded two things.  First, either the
changes in Myth or upgrading the PVR firmware to the version
recommended with ivtv 0.10 fixed the lockup problems I previously had.
Second, there are DMA issues in the 0.10 ivtv driver that don't exist
in 0.9.  I suppose it is possible the DMA problems in 0.10 only relate
to VBI handling since I just remembered I still have VBI capture
enabled in Myth.

David
--
David Engel