You're dependency of Parent to Child does not specify any configuration
mapping, so you get the default which is "*->*". Probably what you want is:

   <dependencies>
       <dependency org="MyOrg" name="ChildModule"
rev="${childmodule.version}" conf="*->master" changing="true"/>
       <dependency org="junit" name="junit" rev="${junit.version}"
conf="test->default" />
   </dependencies>

-Archie

--