Michael Emmel wrote:

> Justin Chapweske wrote:
>
> > > It was my understanding that this is not the case :
> > >
> > > <P>Internal Deployment of Compliant Covered Code is considered a
> > > Commercial     Use and is subject to payment of "per unit" royalties to Sun
> > > based on the
> > > intended Field of Use, in the same manner as Commercial Use.&nbsp;
> > > Implementations
> > > of the Java<SUP>tm</SUP> 2 SDK must include Added Value.
> > >
> > > That not  even the same as   freely distributed.
> > >
> > > Mike
> > >

> > This doesn't apply to research/non-profit use.  This is for companies like IBM
> > who'll make some changes to the JVM to help support their products
> > internally...I'm not defending it, just trying to shed some light.
> >

> But I can't just take the JDK1.2 source say it's for research and publish it on
> my web site. I do stand behind the "Idea" of a standard java esp for application
> development.
> I can't distribute in source code from according to there license. IMHO.
> The concept of reasearch binary distribution makes sense only to Sun an IBM Alpha
> Works.
> I'd like to distribute at least in pathc format but for example my code is not
> based  off of Suns
> so a Patch release makes no  sense. I hesistate to even begin to work with there
> code.
> I do use the Swing src but my top level stuff is  tied to the Swing.
> I guess some guy just needs to get sued by Sun to  clear this up. I doub't they
> care to clear up
> issues for us little fish.
> Who's first ??

*raises hand*

have they removed that broken, stupid clause in their license that says you can't
redistribute portions of their stuff?  I really annoys me that if you want to use
japhar with sun's classes you have to download the entire JDK first.  stupid stupid
stupid.

I think it's really neat that the .jar files you get with the windows jdk are
different than the unix versions.  I mean, I can understand not shipping the
JFC stuff for whatever licensing reasons, but they don't even give you
java.lang.Win32FileSystem in the unix .jar or java.lang.UnixFileSystem in the
windows one.  i thought java.lang was supposed to be a standardized API, not the
dumping ground for platform specific classes.

Chris