Alex Nicolaou wrote:

> Moses DeJong wrote:
> > On Thu, 25 Feb 1999, Jamie Marconi wrote:
> > > http://www.sun.com/software/communitysource/java2
> >
> > What is so cool about it? Sun still restricts what you can do with the
> > code. You still need to pay them if you want to use your own changes.
> > You still can not give your code to anyone else without passing the
> > JCK. Oh, and of course they will not give you the JCK without paying
> > them. In addition, looking at the Sun will break "clean room", so
> > you will not be able to work on japhar. Why would anyone agree to
> > these license terms? This is a token gesture only, they have not
> > "opened" anything.
>
> While I basically agree with you that the license is restrictive, what
> you're saying is not strictly true. For research purposes, non-compliant
> code (i.e. code that doesn't pass the JCK) can be freely distributed.

It was my understanding that this is not the case :

<P>Internal Deployment of Compliant Covered Code is considered a
Commercial     Use and is subject to payment of "per unit" royalties to Sun
based on the
intended Field of Use, in the same manner as Commercial Use.&nbsp;
Implementations
of the Java<SUP>tm</SUP> 2 SDK must include Added Value.

That not  even the same as   freely distributed.

Mike