Hi Lewis,

You are right, somehow 1.6.2 src release has been missed top level
build.xml file. There are two ways to build the source in this situation,
either you can download 1.6.2 tag[1] and build it using ant or according to
the README file it is possible to use second option which need to build
both maven plugin manually before run mvn install in top level to build the
1.6.2 src release.

Thanks,
Shameera.

[1]http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/axis/axis2/java/core/tags/v1.6.2/