On Jan 26, 2007, at 1:56 PM, Bill Taylor wrote:
I notice that the Lucene book offered by Amazon was published in 2004. I saw some mail on the subject of a new edition.

Is the new edition available in any form?

I promise to buy the new edition as soon as it comes out even if I get some of the material early. I wrote a book which was published by the MIT Press; I know how long it takes to get a book out.

This is a thread more suited to the Manning forum for LIA: <http:// www.manning-sandbox.com/thread.jspa?forumID=152&threadID=17520>

In short, LIA2 will live, that much is for sure.

Failing that, how should I learn more about the internals of Lucene?

Ask here.  Delve into the source code.  Study the unit tests.

My client has a large code base in C++. The system has its own index which is not all that fast. One way to improve performance would be to convert to the C version of Lucene.

Is HTTP communication viable for your situation? If so, give Solr a shot. C -> HTTP -> Solr -> Lucene and back won't be "not all that fast". In fact, it'll be very fast.

        Erik