That is off of the TermSpans class. BTQ (BoostingTermQuery) is implemented to extend SpanQuery, thus SpanNearQuery isn't, w/o modification, going to have access to these things. However, if you look at the SpanTermQuery, you will see that it's implementation of Spans is indeed the TermSpans class. So, I think you could cast to it or handle it through instanceof.

I am not completely sure here, but it seems like we may need an efficient way to access the TermPositions for each document. That is, the Spans class doesn't provide this and maybe it should somehow. Again, I am just thinking out loud here.

Thus, if we modified Spans to have the following methods:

byte[] getPayload(byte[] data, int offset)

boolean isPayloadAvailable()

I think this would be useful.  Perhaps this should be discussed on dev.

Cheers,
Grant