On Thursday 12 July 2007 14:50, Grant Ingersoll wrote:
> That is off of the TermSpans class.  BTQ (BoostingTermQuery) is
> implemented to extend SpanQuery, thus SpanNearQuery isn't, w/o
> modification, going to have access to these things.  However, if you
> look at the SpanTermQuery, you will see that it's implementation of
> Spans is indeed the TermSpans class.  So, I think you could cast to
> it or handle it through instanceof.
>
> I am not completely sure here, but it seems like we may need an
> efficient way to access the TermPositions for each document.  That
> is, the Spans class doesn't provide this and maybe it should
> somehow.  Again, I am just thinking out loud here.

SpanQueries can be nested, so the relationship between a span
and a term position can also be one to many, not only one to one.
For example a matching span in the Spans of a SpanNearQuery
can be based on two matching (near enough to match) term positions.

> Thus, if we modified Spans to have the following methods:
>
> byte[] getPayload(byte[] data, int offset)
>
> boolean isPayloadAvailable()
>
> I think this would be useful.  Perhaps this should be discussed on dev.

And the same holds for the payloads, there many be more than one
for a single Span.

Regards,
Paul Elschot