Has anyone noticed a deterioration in printing performance since JRE 1.3?

We sell a document viewer.  A customer reported that printing performance
was much worse in 1.3.1_02 than 1.3, for both raster and vector files.

I downloaded JRE 1.4.1_01, and found that spool sizes and print times were
comparable to 1.3.1_02, and that both of these JRE's were in fact much worse
compared to 1.3 when it comes to printing times and spool sizes for a number
of files.

For example, a vector file that printed in 45 s, spool size of 1.15 MB with
JRE 1.3, blew up to 9.15 MB and took 13 minutes to print in 1.3.1_02,
according to our customer!  That's right, it took over 15 times as long to
print, and the spool file size was 9 times bigger!

I found a raster file that printed in 40 s and spooled to 11 MB in JRE 1.3,
took 2.5 minutes to print, and 20.9 MB in 1.4.1_01.  That's 4 times as long
to print, and double the spool size!

We are finding comparable differences on other printers and on different
Windows operating systems (although as usual some printers are much better
than others and the newer Win O/S's are better).

Can someone from Sun please comment on this one?

Thanks.