[I sent this the first day I signed up for this list, so I'm thinking a snafu
might have kept it from posting, or AOL might have blocked any replies at
first, anyways here it is:]

I'm reasonably proficient in Swing but as I've began programming in java2D,
I'm puzzled by all the usages of java.awt.Canvas I've seen as the GUI component
in which the custom graphics are drawn in.  So far, I've used JComponent
subclasses for this purpose.  Is there a reason I should use Canvas instead?  I
presume it is heavyweight, whereas JComponent is lightweight, which I thought
was the preferred way of implementing GUI and graphics in java.

thanks in advance,
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

P.S. Do me a big favor and even if you don't have an answer, just reply
anyway to confirm that this message got thru. thanks again.