Perhaps you could create a BufferedImage.TYPE_BYTE_BINARY with a 2 color
IndexColorModel
and have all the printing go into there. Then all rendering will have to
be one of those two colours
which I assume you would select as B&W.

The drawbacks to this are that to get printer resolution graphics
(something you also
were seeing problems with already) that BufferedImage will need to be
big and you
will have to scale it appropriately and the resulting spool file will
also be huge.
Another drawback is that it may not look very pretty.

In any case I don't see a way to do this via the printing APIs.

-phil.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Phil,

I'm still puzzled.  It isn't clear how to accomplish what I want.  If I was in
a color lookup world I would do something like:  set 0 - white and colors 1-256
to black.  The problem with monochrome printing is the user has a yellow line
drawn and wants to print it on a black and white printer.  If I use grayscale
it comes out as a faint line on the paper.  When it copys this or puts it on a
viewfoil it is very faint and noone can read it.  So the need for Black and
White.
[Message sent by forum member 'diverdad' (diverdad)]