Hi Ken,

  thank you for your comments.

  I don't think I can comment on the VM heap issue -
  this is probably a question for the deployment team.

  I'm not sure how it would work given that VM serves
  multiple applets at the same time.

  Thanks,
    Dmitri

Ken Warner wrote:
Hi Dmitri,

I'm really excited to hear about this.  The boost in performance will be
a real advantage for Java in the Java vs. Flash war that is going on now.

But I am running into a related problem.  In the process of beta testing
my panorama viewer, I'm encountered a lot of problems with MemoryErrors
on client machines.  The problem is easily remedied by setting the VM
arguments.  But at the same time, those same people exhibit a
reluctance to simply open the Java Control Panel and set the VM
arguments.  I even have a whole system set up where by my viewer pops up
an HTML page that explains that there has been a memory error and a link
to an HTML page that explains how to easily fix it.

Yet people still complain and point out that Flash doesn't have these
problems.  Now Flash 9 has supports a panorama viewer but the image
quality is terrible.  Java can render an image much more nicely and
clearly.  Yet, Java is still seen as deficient just because the default
JVM memory parameters are too small and people are reluctant to take the
30 seconds it takes to set the memory parameters to a higher value.

Is there any thought at SUN to set the default memory parameters for the
JVM to a larger value?  This goes back to an earlier discussion I had
with you about the possibility of being able to set the JVM arguments to
programmatically from an applet.

Here is the memory help page I have available to the users that users
seem to want to avoid.

http://pancyl.com/memoryhelp.htm

Ken

Dmitri Trembovetski wrote:
  Hello,

  Sun had released an Early Access of 6uN (formerly known as
  the Consumer Release). You can get build b04 here:
    http://download.java.net/jdk6/

  This build contains the new Direct3D 9-based Java2D pipeline,
  which is enabled by default on Windows  platform. It is very similar
to the
  OpenGL pipeline (in fact they share a lot of code), and is
  based on the Single Thread Rendering model developed for the OpenGL
  pipeline:

http://weblogs.java.net/blog/campbell/archive/2005/03/strcrazy_improv_1.html

  The D3D pipeline accelerates pretty much the same set of operations
  as the OGL one:

http://weblogs.java.net/blog/campbell/archive/2004/11/behind_the_grap.html

  So, this is a call to action:

  Please try your applications with this new pipeline and let us know
  if you find any issues. We really want to make this pipeline rock-solid
  as it needs to be if it is to be left enabled by default. Time is
short,
  so the sooner you report issues the better chances are we'll have time
  to fix them.

  Please report both negative and positive findings so we can
  keep track of what's working and what's not (and on which
  HW).

  Take a look at this page for testing/troubleshooting guidelines:
    https://jdk6.dev.java.net/testD3D.html
  (please make sure to include the output of J2D_TRACE_LEVEL=4 output
  with your postings)

  There are some known problems in full-screen mode, multi-screen,
  and on some chipsets (namely, Intel 645G). These are being worked on
  and hopefully will be addressed by the release time.

  Another thing to be aware of - this pipeline does not
  accelerate Xor rendering mode. It will be really, really slow.
  Sorry about that.

  Thanks,
    Dmitri
  Java2D Team

body
of the message "signoff JAVA2D-INTEREST".  For general help, send
email to