Ken,

Please read the subject line.
Windows 2003 and 2008 are server OSes and are quite different
than windows 2000.

-phil.

Ken Warner wrote:
The funny thing is that Windows 2000 wasn't a server class OS
when I bought it.  It was just the latest Windows.  Somewhere
along the line it became a server OS.  And I didn't know
I became an Administrator.  I guess I didn't get the memo.

And the reason I don't upgrade to XP or (yuk) Vista is that I'd rather
spend my cycles on work rather than fancy icons and animation
to give me a "...richer user interface experience..."  Windows 2000
is almost as fast as Windows NT....

I guess it's just a matter of perspective.

And there's no point in telling Microsoft anything -- they
know *ALL* the answers.  It's not my fault!

Dmitri Trembovetski wrote:

Ken Warner wrote:

The assumption that,

"...typically people don't care about
  graphics performance on a server, and also drivers
  tend to be old/buggy on servers as they are not
  updated as often.

Is fundamentally wrong -- at least in my case.

  You may want to tell that to Microsoft then, because in their
  next server os (Windows 2008) not only Aero is disabled
  by default, it is not even present in the installation,
  and the default (and only) theme is Win2k. I guess they have
  found that administrators don't care much about fancy
  graphics on servers.

  Moreover, the vast majority of servers are
  administered remotely anyway.

  Thanks,
    Dmitri