Take a look at this preso if you haven't already:
    http://gceclub.sun.com.cn/java_one_online/2005/TS-3214/ts-3214.pdf
  Slides 42-43.

  And, of course:
    http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/2d/text/textattributes.html

  Dmitri

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
I see that the font attribute overrides other attributes so I have now tried
this:

[code]
Map<TextAttribute, Object> textAttributes = new HashMap<TextAttribute,
Object>();
textAttributes.put(TextAttribute.KERNING, TextAttribute.KERNING_ON);
textAttributes.put(TextAttribute.FAMILY, "Serif");
textAttributes.put(TextAttribute.SIZE, 13);
g2d.setFont(Font.getFont(textAttributes));
g2d.drawString(text, 100, 150);
[/code]

but the results are identical no matter what family I use.

How do I turn on kerning?