Why don't you use a translucent BufferedImage?
  You can use BufferedImage.TYPE_INT_ARGB as the bi type
  when creating it.

  Thanks,
    Dmitri

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
I want to display a curve in J3D without having to draw a zillion line segments
and I'm not too concerned about display quality (fineness), so I'm using a J2D
shape to create a texture in J3D.  I've been able to display the shape
successfully by drawing it to a BufferedImage, creating a texture from that and
applying the texture to a quad.

The background of the image becomes part of the texture and obscures objects
behind it.  I'd like the background to be transparent so that only the shape
itself appears to be in the scene.  I assume I will need to make the quad
transparent, too.  It seems that a GIF will support a transparent background
and might be the solution I need.  (Or perhaps there's another way...)

If the solution is a GIF, can I create the GIF from the BufferedImage without
writing to disk and just use it directly?  I'm new to image processing so I'd
appreciate any code snippets that will take the BufferedImage to a GIF.
[Message sent by forum member 'scubed' (scubed)]