Hello All --

  I have a newbie GUI question of a general nature.  I am self-taught in
Java -- 5th language -- but am fortunate enough to have been able to
schedule a Java II class at my local community college.

  My problem is this.  In learning the rigors of MVC and Swing (which
were actually taught in the Java I class), and I am now running up
against Layout managers and the whole business of adding components to
components.  My instructor is very good at pointing out my _current_
problems, but the class ends in a couple weeks.  He (my instructor) has
pointed out that the GUI side of things frequently behaves differently
than what one would expect, and I'm OK with that [5th language...].

  What I'm wondering is if you all have any recommendations for a book
or whatever that is strong in the finer details of -- e.g. -- Layout
Managers and "advanced" GUI, especially with "here's what to look out
for" advice.  I certainly do not mind learning from experience, but
would like to learn more efficiently than I will be when my Java class
is over.

  Thank you in advance for your help, and also for all I have learned
while lurking!

  -- Chris

Chris Olsen
Thomas Jefferson High School