jav...@javadesktop.org wrote:
First, note what the API doc says about setClip(Shape clip):

[b]Not all objects that implement the Shape interface can be used to set the clip. The only Shape objects that are guaranteed to be supported are Shape objects that are obtained via the getClip method and via Rectangle objects.[/b]

That's a red herring. It was in there for the 1.1 days when we introduced Shape, but before we could handle arbitrary geometry in the rendering routines. It should have been removed in Java 2, but we didn't notice it until recently. It lives on in one of those "the next time someone is in that file, please remember to delete this line" limbo phases, but we have little reason to edit that file any more...

                        ...jim