If I understand your question correctly, you are saying that the performance meets your needs, so you are mainly asking if there are any hidden "gotchas" in that API?

If we are in a hw accelerated pipeline then I think the flipping is probably guaranteed to be free since image transformation is accelerated naturally and cheaply by most any GPU.

If we are in sw then the code will end up in the image transform pipelines which have slightly more overhead than the straight copy loops, but probably nothing noticeable when compared to manually flipping the image through any other means.

On the other hand, if you are dealing with the results of a 3D scene then I'm guessing you are only concerned about running on a 3D accelerated GPU and so the prior comment about "it's free on HW" is the more germane comment...

                        ...jim