People have suggested similar keywords - I don't like the idea of
wrapping in a RuntimeException, but as we know, checked exceptions are
a figment of Java's imagination and are simply enforced by the
compiler.

Why not simply allow them to bubble up as their original exception,
just remove the need for checking them.

void thing() coverts IOException {
}

Does anyone know, if you were to remove the throws declarations from a
method in a class, would the JVM still validate the class file, if the
method was clearly throwing checked exceptions?  I assume it would
allow it.  I guess this is how Scala works.