Hi,

I managed to get agreement from my team to try developer testing on a feature.

We saw a presentation on Espresso which looked really good and with
Google behind it, we thought thats the way to go.

Unfortunately, thats when we hit issues.

Espresso uses the instrumentation framework which essentially means we
are testing against a full apk. I really wanted to somehow mock the
model being used by Activity/Fragment but the 'hooks' to swap in your
model data don't exist.

I've seen various hacks to get round this but nothing I was
comfortable with and would have faith the other devs would follow
properly without making mistakes.

I could use Espresso for black box testing with customised end points
but thats what the QA automation framework does using Appium.

The other option is to write unit tests. The main option here is
Roboelectric. Unfortunately it does not support API 19 and I can't see
when it will.

The last fallback option is to NOT test the activity/fragment and use
MVP and then unit test the Java classes only.

This is also far from trivial and likely to meet resistance from the
other devs who are used to 2000+ line Activity/Fragments.

The bottom line seems to be that you have to be prepared to do ALOT of
extra work to get the code under test by developers. Add to the mix
reluctance of devs to do any testing at all, you can see why I'm quite
frustrated, especially since I championed the idea that automated
tests at all levels would solve our problems and be worth the extra
effort.

We already have low quality and ridiculously long (manual) QA cycles
and steadily getting worse. Its really a throwback to the bad old days
that typical server side development had left behind 10 years ago.

Any advice going forward?