On 29 Sep 2014, at 15:45, clay wrote:

- Way more concise. Gradle has a much cleaner syntax and doesn't require mountains of XML for everything. Each library dependency in a typical Maven pom often uses five lines of XML which is silly. Gradle and SBT have a much leaner syntax. I've converted Maven builds to Gradle and while still using plenty of comments and white space and not intentionally trying to write terse builds, the Gradle build is often an order of magnitude smaller. Like
5-8 times smaller.

Yes - Gradle may be far more concise, and can be more readable - I find it's more the ecosystem of plugins, and other tool integration to be more important. Add to that - ivy ( and derivatives ) are not 100% compatible with Maven ( i.e. timestamped SNAPSHOTs for a big one ).

One my biggest issues with Maven is now solved since we (Richard Vowles and myself) took over the grossly broken, unsupported, but well-intentioned tiles-maven-plugin [1] which gives us mixin style composition of Maven concerns.

Being able to refactor those common things makes our build files amazingly small. i.e. I declare a set of tiles for "osgiapi, codestandards, karaffeature" and everything for our standard checkstyle/enforcer rules come in, standard setup for an OSGi based API package gets configured, and support for Apache Karaf etc. These can be added at will, without horrible nested parents.

Works remarkably well.

[1] https://github.com/repaint-io/maven-tiles