IMO, it's not so much that it's not TestNG, it's that it's Junit 3.  4
would have been fine.

Android's still got an incredibly obtuse approach to testing with the stub
exceptions and pushing you toward running on-device.  So, we work around by
pulling all our logic out into non-android classes and test those using
standard junit 4 and mockito.  Add in robolectric with no config
[@RunWith(RobolectricTestRunner.class) @Config(manifest = Config.NONE)]
when you have to.  Picasso, Retrofit, Rx Java, Otto, Dagger -- yep, use
them all.

Everything you've said about robolectric and android studio is true, from
what I understand.  I always build on the command line with maven (yeah, I
know I'm behind).  I have a friend who has claimed he's cracked the Android
Studio+robolectric barrier, but he hasn't told me how yet.

Pat.