I tried to install Java with Apache Solr the easy way using this tutorial:-

https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-install-solr-on-ubuntu-14-04

If you want to install Solr the easy way, you should use this section of
the article. Solr doesn't work alone; it needs a Java servlet container
such as Tomcat or Jetty. In this article, we'll use Jetty, although Tomcat
is just as easy. First, we should install the Java JDK. If you want to
install a custom version, please see this article
<https://digitalocean.com/community/articles/how-to-install-java-on-ubuntu-with-apt-get>.

If you want a simple installation, execute the following commands:

sudo apt-get -y install openjdk-7-jdk
mkdir /usr/java
ln -s /usr/lib/jvm/java-7-openjdk-amd64 /usr/java/default

Ubuntu provides 3 Solr packages by default: solr-common, the package that
contains the actual Solr code; solr-tomcat, Solr integrated with Tomcat;
and solr-jetty, which is just like solr-tomcat but with the Jetty web
server. In this article, we will install solr-tomcat, so execute the
following command:

sudo apt-get -y install solr-tomcat

Your Solr instance should now be available at http://YOUR_IP:8080/solr.
Skip the next section on installing manually if you want to configure Solr.

Now I am getting this error:-

opt/solr# java -v
Unrecognized option: -v
Error: Could not create the Java Virtual Machine.
Error: A fatal exception has occurred. Program will exit.

Someone please help me fix this!
Thanks!
Kev