Hi,

First let me say that I recommend that you do not change the registry unless
you are confident in what you are doing. You could end up with a very expensive
paper weight that used to be a computer. If you are going to, then I strongly
recommend that you back up your registry first.

That said, I have copied below an email that I save from one of the JAWS list a
while back. I didn't write it but it shows how to use that free screen reader
that we are not allowed mention (ahem!) in safe mode. I suspect that Narrator
will also work in safe mode but I am not at all sure about that. The attachment
that is mentioned was stripped from the email before it got to the list.

Take care,

Gerry Ellis

If you don’t know where you’re going,
How will you know when you get there?

Hi to all,

attached is the Registry key you need to have sound in safe mode.
below are the instructions on what to do

I have been using this for years & it works great, all it does is creat the
same audio registry keys you have in normal mode in the safe mode registry tree.
So then audio is told to start up in safe mode.
I have used this on all the windows versions since xp both 32 & 64 bit & it
works great.

depending on how you want to run the keys I have written 2 different
instructions below

1. the attached file is a text file and it is the keys you need to put into
the safe mode registry tree.
I am sending it as a text file so the email servers hopefully let it through
as an attachment.
If I send it as an attached registry file it will never be aloud through.

you need to change this text file to a registry file by changing the
extention of the
file.
this is the last 3 letters of the file after the full stop, .txt
you need to change the .txt to be .reg
So save the attached file to your computer somewhere, may be the desktop,
now go to the place where you have saved the attached file & rename it by
changing the extention from .txt to .reg
so the file name after you have changed it will be
Activate Sound in SafeMode.reg

now just hit enter on the file Activate Sound in SafeMode.reg
and you will get a window asking if you want to make changes to the
registry, you need to press yes
now another window will come up you need to press ok.
now you can reboot & go into safe mode & you will have sound.
jaws will not work due to the video driver not loading but you can use NVDA
as the screen reader
So download NVDA and set it up before you boot into safe mode.

2. if the attached file doesnt get to you because the admin of this list
doesnt allow attachments, then do the following

I have pasted the text of the registry file below,
you just need to coppy & paist the below into a notepad document & then save
it as a .reg file.

once you have pasted the below into notepad,
press control s for save,
then tab once to save as type & change this to all files,
now shift tab back into the file name edit box and name the file what ever
you want & make sure the last 3 letters of the file name are .reg
for example you can name it something like
sound in safe mode.reg

so coppy everything below between the lines of stars,
do not coppy the lines of stars

********************

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\SafeBoot\Network\{4D36E96C-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}]
@="[6cFgE][Şοûпđ, νìδ℮ô άήδ ğªмè ¢őήťřόℓŀèґš !!! !!! !]"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\SafeBoot\Network\{640167b4-59b0-47a6-b335-a6b3c0695aea}]
@="Portable Media Devices"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\SafeBoot\Network\AudioEndpointBuilder]
@="Service"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\SafeBoot\Network\Audiosrv]
@="Service"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\SafeBoot\Network\HdAudAddService]
@="Service"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\SafeBoot\Network\HDAudBus]
@="Service"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\SafeBoot\Network\drmkaud]
@="Driver"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\SafeBoot\Network\MMCSS]
@="Service"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\SafeBoot\Minimal\{4D36E96C-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}]
@="[6cFgE][Şοûпđ, νìδ℮ô άήδ ğªмè ¢őήťřόℓŀèґš !!! !!! !]"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\SafeBoot\Minimal\{640167b4-59b0-47a6-b335-a6b3c0695aea}]
@="Portable Media Devices"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\SafeBoot\Minimal\AudioEndpointBuilder]
@="Service"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\SafeBoot\Minimal\Audiosrv]
@="Service"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\SafeBoot\Minimal\HdAudAddService]
@="Service"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\SafeBoot\Minimal\HDAudBus]
@="Service"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\SafeBoot\Minimal\drmkaud]
@="Driver"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\SafeBoot\Minimal\MMCSS]
@="Service"

once you have done all this then just press enter on the file that you have
made & go through the windows that come up
then you will have sound in safe mode

it works great
Hope it helps