VLC 3.0 added a feature to play media within zip and iso formats
without extracting them.
The whey to fix that is  re installing it with custom option and
uncheck the iso and zip file format from the file association  menu
options before finishing the installation procedure.
BTW the vlc preferences options does include file association menu,
but I don't think its that accessible.