well, it was a good try. That command would not work. I called ms support and they came to the conclusion that the only way is to reformat the drive and recover the data from a backup. I used image for windows and it took a little over 9 hours to backup. It almost did not fit on the laptop hd. there is now 32gb left.

-----Original Message----- From: JM Casey
Sent: Thursday, July 05, 2018 9:19 PM
To: jaws-users-list@jaws-users.com
Subject: Re: [JAWS-Users] convert ex drive from fat32 to ntfs?

I have probably close to a terabyte of music on my hard drives, and I try to
back it up semi-regularly, and have never run into problems copying so much
data.

However, you can actually convert the drive without reformatting it,
apparently. I say "apparently" because I haven't actually tried it. But
Windows has a command for this. It's called "convert" and you run it from
the command prompt. So open up an administrative command prompt and type
this:
Convert e: /fs:ntfs

Where e: is of course whatever drive letter you end up with.

As I've never done this before, my instinct would still be to copy the files
to a folder on your hd anyway as a backup.