Hi Gerald,
Yes, you, are missing something.
The tutorials on creating a system restore disk, or disks, and using them to
restore your system
explain clearly how to do it, without sighted help.
The fact that a particular program doesn't fit the desires of every
individual,
doesn't make it impossible to use, or useless.
There are a few terms being used here that are not inter-changeable.
Backup, typically refers to your personal files such as data, music and
videos for example.
These backups are recommended by many computer professionals to be done
before any significant  changes are made to your system.
System Restore, is nothing more than a way of returning your system to a
previous state, such as the Windows System Restore.
Creating a system restore disk, or disks, canbe easily done with Jaws, as
the tutorialls on Image for Windows demonstrates.
The advantage of using disks for this restore is that it doesn't consume
space on your hard drive the way that Windows System Restore does.
System Recovery, is typically used when the hard drive has crashed, and the
physical drive has to be replaced.
In this case, there would need to be a boot disk,and there are programs that
will allow a blind-user to create one
and they are also Jaws-friendly.
Yes, some of these processes are quite technical, and not for the average
user.
The majority of computer users just want to know how to use the machine, not
look under the hood.
If a user is interested in looking under the hood, then they need to do what
it takes to acquire that knowledge and skill.
I backup my files every day, and sometimes more than once, easy and Jaws
friendly.
I have created a set of restore disks to return my system to a previous
state at will, also Jaws friendly.
I have read the documentation on creating an unattended install of Windows
which can serve as a system recovery,
but have not yet successfully created such a disk, but again, Jaws friendly.
Whether it is a restore, or recovery, I would suggest to anyone, keep it
small, and not bloated with unnecessary software.
In most cases, a restore disk would be sufficient, since the mechanical
failure of a hard disk is not as frequent these days
as it was in earlier years.
Just because there isn't a way at the present time for all of us to do these
things the way we want to,
doesn't mean that it cannot be done by a blind user at all.
Anyone that has worked with computers for any great length of time, and in
depth
knows the familiar phrase:
work-around.
We have all had to earn our stripes, so-to-speak, we didn't get it over
night.
I hope this was helpful, if not, contact me off-list.
Richard Q. Justice-website owner
www.blind-computing.com