Hi John,

Give any of the following a try.  These are several notes from various
sources that I've saved regarding this topic.

1. While in an open Word document, press Alt+F followed by Alt+T to go
into the Word options.
2. Use down arrow twice to the Proofing tab.
3. Use tab key one time to the AutoCorrect options button and press
spacebar.
4. Use CTRL+tab until you get to the AutoFormat as you type tab.
5. Use tab key until you find a checkbox labeled "Automatic bulleted
lists."  If you don't want your lists to continue being bulleted when you
use a bullet in a document then use spacebar to uncheck the item.
6. Tab one more time to the checkbox labeled "Automatic Numbered lists"
and use spacebar to remove the checkmark if you don't want to have auto
numbering used.
7. Use tab key to the OK button and press spacebar.
8. Use tab key to the OK button again and press spacebar.
Take care.
Brian Lee

From:
John Justice
Here are detailed instructions for turning off the Autonumbering feature in
Word 2010.

1.        Press Alt H to access the Home option on the ribbon.

2.       Down arrow to Paragraph and then press right arrow.

3.       Down arrow again until you come to Numbers.

4.       Right arrow to access the options.  The top choice is none.  Make
sure you are focused on that option and press Enter

5.       You may need to press Escape several times to get off of the ribbon
menus.

I tried this several times to make sure that it is correct.
John and Linda Justice

From:
dan thompson
Hi, do the following
1.  When word is opened, press alt plus f.
2. Press the letter i.
3.  Arrow down to "proofing."
4.  Tab  once to "ato correct options" button and press the spacebar once.
5.  Press control plus tab until reaching "auto correct as you type tab."
6.  Tab to "automatic numbered list" and press the spacebar once to uncheck
the box.
7.  Tab to okay and press the spacebar.
8.  Tab to okay and press the spacebar again.  Now the change is made.  Good
luck.
Dan

From:
Kimsan
Press alt f, up arrow to  options, press enter and now press p for proofing.
Kimsan
From: michael grove
Yes it is possible to turn numbering off Just go into your ribbon on the
home tab and go to paragraphs and then to numbering and you will find all of
the options.  Hope this helps you.
Mike

From: Kerri
HI, it does help but I found the options but there is no "off" switch.
Kerri

From: Ann Byrne
The applications key should have a selection to turn it off.  Arrow
down to the bullets and numbering choice and whack enter to turn it off.
Ann

From: Kerri
HI, it does help but I found the options but there is no "off" switch.
Kerri

From:
michael grove
The option that you want is none.
Mike

 From: Denny Huff de...@gatewayfortheblind.com

I assume you are using Word 2010 and if so, do the following. Press alt f
for the file menu. Up arrow to options and press enter. Arrow down to
proofing
and press your tab key. Press enter on, auto-correct. Press your control tab
until you hear, auto correct as you type tab. Tab through your options and
uncheck what you don't want.
Denny Huff

Hope 1 of these helped.
Take care.