From: JAWS-Users-List [mailto:jaws-users-list-boun...@jaws-users.com] On
Behalf Of Andrew James Bontrager
Sent: Monday, January 06, 2014 9:40 AM
To: jaws-users-list@jaws-users.com
Subject: Re: [JAWS-Users] Switching From XP To Windows7

You are right. Those certainly were my opinions. It's all right to disagree
with me, I don't mind that a bit. But first let me tell you some of the
reasons I have for these opinions of mine.
Try these programs with Windows 7:
Outlook Express
Microsoft ActiveSync
Microsoft Internet Explorer version 6 (iexplor.exe file) Windows Media
Player version 11 The majority of IT professionals still run the XP
operating system. You can find the story here.
http://www.itbusinessnet.com/article/Survey:-Overwhelming-Majority-of-IT-Pro
fessionals-Still-Running-Windows-XP-as-End-of-Life-Nears--2976327
I don't feel nervous if IT professionals are still running this system.
Here's the deal. Jaws version 9 works with Windows 7 but not optimally. NVDA
works with Win 7 but it has its issues. Jaws version 9 works perfectly with
XP. And now to get a fully accessible "modern" operating system I'm going to
have to shell out $500 to Freedom Scientific for another Jaws version? I
don't think so! I make a shoestring income and I even have to buy the
shoestring.
Security takes a truck-bed to performance for me, always.
One of the quarrels I have with Windows 7 is the sluggish response of its
file explorer system. For example, when I open a folder in Windows Explorer,
I'm used to pressing a letter (b for example) a microsecond after opening
the folder and it will jump to the first item beginning with the letter.
Windows 7 file explorer takes at least a second to get oriented to the
correct position, and I might have to press the letter several times to get
to the first item. I've deleted wrong files because of this "modern
explorer." The split buttons and most of the other new features they added
are pure fluff to me.
Again, the above are my opinions. If you like Windows 7, continue. These are
just one user's perspectives.