> > 1. Semi-federated JNDI.
> > -----------------------
> > I propose that some sort of delegation model be used for JNDI.
> There is a
> > 'public' JNDI interface and a 'private' JNDI interface.
> >

> IMO, this is not efficient.
> 1st, it would be nice to be able to determine that a particular
> application
> need to be deployed to only some particular nodes.
> 2nd, this "where-could-i-find-such-a-bean..." mechanism is probably not
> strict enough.

I have to agree with Sacha, the notion of public and private, the JNDI tree
is public by nature.
Except for the java/comp environments for the beans.

> Have you read my previous proposition? I suggested something like
> you but we
> would have only one JNDI space replicated at different places

I read your proposition. And I like it, but for us to make the first
implementation simple and elegant, I feel it would be better to focus only
on Java-RMI clients. This way we can implement logic in the stub so that we
don't have to "pin" objects once they are created by the home interface.

The notion of "only one" JNDI space, could you elaborate more? Meaning that
each deployment on each server would be identical?

> Using a group communication framework would provide us a solution for the
> replication issue I was just speaking about and, furthermore,
> also provides
> a failure detector which can be parameterized (ping, broadcast, multicast,
> ...). (in fact, the failure detection mechanism is a basic layer of the
> group communication problem)

Yes, I read up on JavaGroups, it is a brilliant idea. if anyone of you
haven't taken a look at it yet,
goto www.javagroups.com

the idea of building your own stack on top of their technology is very
appealing to me.

Furthermore, the idea of groups will blow away an implementation like
Weblogic that uses IP multicast and heart beats to determine whether a
server is up or down. Javagroups has that capability built in already.
not trying to be competitive, just comparative. :)

Tom and Sacha, great ideas and great work!

~
Namaste - I bow to the divine in you
~
Filip Hanik