I must have missed all the emails with misconduct in
them.

So the "fear" you refer to is that you think Jetty and
other developers of CDN were going to "steal" JBoss
code, which is open-source, and take it over to the
apache J2ee project?

See, that seems backwards to me. No offense intended,
but I think you get a lot further by being more open
and helping others, than the other way around. That is
why the forked idea of linux and such as worked so
well. I would agree that I would not want a forked
version of JBoss, then it becomes a little more
confusing which one to go with. But if some concepts
work well with JBoss, such as the use of JMX that
Jonas and others are using now for their backbone, why
not help? Is it the fear of the JBoss Group losing
their own jobs supporting JBoss? I can't see why that
would happen with the proliferation of JBoss in the
market. I think another attempt at an open-source J2EE
container is going to be hard to catch up to JBoss at
this point, but even so, what's a little competition.

I recently read an article about how "stale" MS is
with thier OSs and why they can give out crappy copies
of it. They have no competition on Intel machines.
Sure, Linux, but not really on the desktop. The
argument goes that if Apple were to bring Mac OS X to
Intel hardware, MS would have a real competitor with a
better OS on its platform. I suppose of MS was smart
they'd consider porting Windows to linux and Mac OS X
as well to have more hardware under thier OS. I can
see the same argument for JBoss. JBoss is really the
only solid J2EE free implementation around. I am not
sure if Jonas is entirely free, but Orion and PRimatti
are both very good servers for a mere $1500 per server
(no per cpu charge), so dropping $1500 for production
while no cost for anything else is not all that much
even for small companies. However, with another
open-source J2EE container in the works, I can see
where the JBoss developes might face a little more
competition and think "Crap, we don't want to lose
customers, so lets make it better..." and really hone
down on the jboss features, capabilities, performance,
etc. That is why competition is good, it keeps each
player in check. You don't want to slack off now,
because with another free container on its way, you
may lose customers to it. Another thing Jboss may face
in a apache/jakarta type of free J2EE container is
that Apache has a LOT of pull in the community. Sun,
IBM, and others all contribute to it, so while JBoss
is by far the leading J2EE container for its
performace/features/compliance/price, another one may
put some pressure on JBoss to keep up the pace. I'd
also imagine with Apache and the likes behind it,
there are possibly more developers to work on it, and
one other thing comes to mind... a fresh start on a
new design. JBoss has a great architecture, although
personally I have been wanting to see my own concept
of dynamically loadable plugins put into a J2EE
container for some time. I just don't want to take on
that task my self. I'd imagine some developers think
"Kewl, another fresh start J2EE container, maybe this
idea I had that I wasn't allowed to add to Jboss can
get into this new container and will finally be
usefull.." or something along the lines.

Anywho, JBoss rocks, ya'll got a huge head start, and
hopefully all the ugliness between JBoss/JEtty, the
CDN developers and such will blow over and everybody
will get along. If not, well, I'd expect some serious
competition with the new free open-source container
that IS allowed to be forked and so forth. Probably
the anger alone will entice some of them to put in
longer hours and more code.