Jon Schewe writes:
 > Thanks.  I tried that by adding " 2>&1 " to the end of prop-args in
 > jde-run-vm-launch, but that didn't help.  Got any other ideas?

Hi Jon,

The JDEE launches a Java process (see jde-run.el) by calling

          (save-w32-show-window
           (comint-exec run-buffer prog-name prog-path nil prog-args))

where save-w32-show-window is defined as:

(defmacro save-w32-show-window (&rest body)
  "Saves the value of the w32-start-process-show-window variable
before evaluating body and restores the value afterwards."
  `(let ((win32-start-process-show-window t)
         (w32-start-process-show-window t)
         (windowed-process-io t))
     ,@body))

comint-exec is a standard Emacs/XEmacs function that is used by
the compile command, the shell command, and other standard Emacs
commands that allow the user to launch and interact with external
processes.

At some point, I don't recall when or by who, somebody added a binding
for the variable windowed-process-io, which is defined by the XEmacs C
code (i.e., it is a built-in XEmacs variable) and is not defined by
Emacs, to save-w32-show-window macro.

The doc says this variable should only be set if you have a Microsoft
Windows GUI app that does standard I/O (GUI Windows apps typically do
not do standard I/O). It would seem to me that this variable should
not be set to t unconditionally as the JDEE currently does. There
should be some JDEE variable that would allow you to specify whether
the app you are about to launch is an app of the appropriate type. At
any rate, the doc also says that this variable has no effect on
Unix. Despite this, the facts that this variable affects process I/O
under some circumstances and that the variable is only used by XEmacs
seem to correlate strongly with the problem you are having. So I would
suggest that you comment out the binding of this variable in the
save-w32-show-window macro in jde-run.el, recompile jde-run.el if
necessary, and see if that makes a difference.

Paul