Paul Kinnucan writes:
 > Ed Mooney writes:
 >  > I couldn't get attach mode to work, either[1].
 >
 > Attaching to a running process works for me as documented in the JDEE's jdb
 > user's
 > guide.
 >
 > JDEE version: 2.3.4
 > XEmacs version: 21.4 (patch 13) "Rational FORTRAN [Lucid] (i586-pc-win32) of
 > Sun May 25 2003.
 > Windows version: Windows XP

Here are the steps I used:

1. Set jde-sourcepath for my project to

   ./src

2. Set jde-run-option-debug as follows:

   Jde Run Option Debug: * [Value Menu] Connect:
   Mode: [Value Menu] Server
   Data Transport: [Value Menu] Shared Memory
   Shared Memory Name: [Value Menu] javadebug
   Socket Host: [Value Menu] nil
   Socket Port: [Value Menu] 4444
   Suspend?: [Value Menu] No

3. Put point on the line where I wanted to set
   a breakpoint and selected Toggle Breakpoint
   from the Jdb menu.

   The JDEE highlighted the line in red.

4. Pressed C-c C-v C-r to run my program.

   My program ran to the point where it prompted
   me for input in the run buffer in Emacs.

5. Opened a new frame on the source buffer for
   the program.

6. Selected External Process->Attach Via Shared Memory
   from the buffer's Jdb menu.

   The JDEE started jdb and passed the breakpoint to
   it. Jdb responded with the following messages in
   the jdb buffer.

   Initializing jdb ...
   > stop at jmath.Test:27
   Set breakpoint jmath.Test:27

   The breakpoint turns red to signify that it is enabled.

7. I selected Continue from the Jdb menu.

   Jdb responds:

   > cont
   Nothing suspended.

7. I switched to my program's run buffer and entered
   some text and hit return.

   The debugger runs my program to the breakpoint and pauses.

   Breakpoint hit: "thread=main", jmath.Test.main(), line=27 bci=163
   27        LinearSystem s = new LinearSystem(A);

8. I displayed the value of a local variable by entering a print
   command in the jdb buffer:

   main[1] print B[1]
   B[1] = 5.0

I then stepped a few lines and selected Continue from the Jdb menu to
run the program to completion.

Paul