Actually, I'm very glad you mentioned it. :-)

I found the place where the key combinations you mentioned are defined.

    Start->Control Panel->Regional and Language
Options->Languages->Details...->Key Settings...

It looks like if you have more than one language defined, a default key
combination of Left Alt+Shift is enabled to switch between input languages.
I could easily be pressing that key combination accidentally on my way to
C-M-\ (indent-region).

You can customize or turn off this key sequence, or remove all but one
language in the "Text Services and Input Languages" dialog that appears when
you click the "Details..." button in the navigation sequence given above.

I'm all but positive that this is the cause of my problem.

Thanks for the info!

--
Chris Britton
[EMAIL PROTECTED]