On 15-11-13 10:30, Ralf Skyper Kaiser wrote:

Hi,

> 1. You are a gay person in Iran
> 2. An Atheist in Saudi Arabia (or a women)
> 3. Leonardo da Vinci and dare to suggest that the earth is round
> 4. A black person wishing to sit in the front row of a bus
> 5 ...

One of the lessons from Snowden is that evil empires in whatever form,
tend to route around strong encryption. To achieve their goals, they
will compromise around the strong security measures and use easier
attack vectors. And if any digital measures fail, then a good beating up
will be next. And exactly that beating up is already commonplace in any
of the situations you mention anyway, except of course for the third: we
have no records on Leonardo da Vinci being beaten up for having
suggested the earth is round, not in the most because he was not openly
participating in that discussion. Neither do we have any records on
Galileo Galilei being beaten up for his suggestions, though he did get
into trouble for it. But even certificate pinning would not have helped
him there.

The political problems you mention can only be solved on a political
level, not by technology.

Still, as developers on this list, we should do our best to protect our
users against eavesdropping technology (regardless of the politics
behind it). We do that best by accepting the fact that any technology
has flaws, by recognizing those flaws and work from there on
improvement. Shouting everything but one solution is unsafe and deny the
flaws of that one solution won't help us to protect our users.

Winfried