Hello Ernest,

I've finally understood what you meant. I'm really sorry, I did not understand you at the beginning bacause I had my own conception about how jess worked and I didn't put enough attention on your mail's beginning and I concentrated on the end, since it seemed to be my problem's solution.

I've alredy fixed it by adding a guard clause that blocks all the rules until the facts addition period has finished. Then I modify the fact involving that guard clause in order to match the rest of the patterns. I've been also rewriting some code to remove calls to 'fact-id' that were, indeed, unnecessary. Thanks againg for your help,

Felix.

To: <jess-users@sandia.gov>
Sent: Sunday, August 28, 2005 9:02 PM
Subject: Re: JESS: How to stop firing rules (again)

I'm not sure how to say this any more clearly. Pattern matching
happens while facts are being asserted, modified, and retracted, and
*not* during a call to runUntilHalt(). "Running" means firing rules,
nothing more. There is no way to add facts to working memory and then
say "process them" -- it just doesn't work that way.

So beyond an overall redesign (which is by far the best choice here)
you have several other choices. First, you can simply rewrite things
so that they work if some of the facts are missing. This would be the
best thing to do, as it is in any kind of software development. If you
must call a Java method that can return null, then you have to check
for null before proceeding, right? This is the same thing. Simply
rewrite things to assume that some of the needed facts may be missing.

The problem is that because you're looking up facts in a deffunction
rather than matching them, the patterns won't be evaluated when the
later facts are asserted, so this option may not work for you.

A second, easy but very very ugly choice would be to use the "try"
function inside your deffunction to catch and hide the exceptions you
get from the missing facts. Again, this probably won't work because of
the lookup issue.

A third, more complex, choice would be to be sure to assert the facts
in an order such that the errors don't happen. It looks like you have
some facts referring to other facts, and the errors happen when the
referers have been asserted but not the referees. Make sure you assert
the referees first. This might mean doing a postorder traversal of
an object tree instead of an preorder traversal.

I think =?iso-8859-1?Q?F=E9lix_G=F3mez_Cordero?= wrote:
Hello Ernest,

thanks for your really good explanation, now I realize that I have a problem desinng because I have placed on the LHS some responsibilities which weren't
its... That's due to I have to keep reference between facts and I do that
using a 'id' slot... That would be better done from Java... but I think that it's too late becase my piece of software is almost finished... except for
this "little" lapse :). So I'd like to fix the problem in other manner so
that I wouldn't need to break up all my code...

Anyhow, if I add all my facts in one batch there are no exceptions. I find
problems problems just when running the engine (Rete#RunUntilHalt()) in
order to check constraints, then I wait the engine to stop and afterwards
adding/modifing/retracting facts. Is there any reason to think that I'm
re-running the engine when I call 'modify','retrarct' or 'assert' from Java?
If I can keep stopped the engine while processing the facts (because they
are inconsistent until the last one has been processed, for that reason I
get a nonexistent fact's id in fact-slot-value), I think that all will work
fine.

Thank for your help,

                                Filix.

PS. I'm sorry if my explanitions are too confused, it might be my english's
fault, although I'm not sure if they would be better in spanish...