I think David Firmin wrote:

> I'm trying to create shadow facts that subclass a deftemplate that's
> already been added to the Rete. When I try and add the java bean using
> definstance I get a ClassCastException as follows:
>
> java.lang.ClassCastException
>       at jess.DefinstanceList.createNewShadowFact(DefinstanceList.java:206)
>       at jess.DefinstanceList.definstance(DefinstanceList.java:275)

Jess is assuming that the given class "looks like" a subclass of the
deftemplate -- i.e., if the template has slots foo and bar, then the
class had better have getFoo() and getBar() methods. It can have
additional properties as well, of course, as befits a subclass.

In any case, this is a lousy error message -- Jess should explicitly
detect and report this problem.