I think Scott Moss wrote:
> I am unable to get the QueryResult returned by runQueryStar() in Java to
> recognise column headings in a Userfunction.

The argument to the getXxx() methods isn't a slot name; it's a
variable name. Remember that a query result can contain multiple
facts, so just specifying a slot name would be potentially
ambiguous. Write your query like this:

   (defquery number-of-product-attributes-demanded
     (number-desired-attributes (number ?number)))

Note that ?number is bound to a slot, but it's not declared with a
"declare variables" declaration. This way it matches the contents of
the slot, but isn't something you have to pass in as a parameter. If
you make this small change to your query, then your code will work,
because now there *is* a variable named "number".