And even an addendum to this question:

Is there (I read something 'akin' to this in the mailing archive) a big
performance hit as well?

I like to use beans/shadow facts for a variety of reasons, but have always
been under the impression that when i'm going to assert a 'huge' number of a
particular fact type, that I should be using a deftemplate/fact API versus
just using defclass/definstance of a bean representing the exact same
information.

Thanks,
Roger